Dr. Tashi Gyeltshen, Asst. Professor
Philosophy of teaching and learning:
Tashi Gyeltshen (PhD) is Assistant Professor in English at Department of Language Education at Samtse College of Education (Royal University of Bhutan). He has served as Head of Department of Language (2007-2009 and 2016-2019), Acting Dean (2012), B. Ed Secondary Programme Leader (2010-11) and faculty member since 2004.
Before joining Samtse College of Education, he worked under Ministry of Education as a teacher at erstwhile Sherubling Junior High School, Trongsa from July 1994 to 1998. From 1999 to 2003, he worked as a Principal at Sherubling Middle Secondary School and Daga Middle Secondary School.
At the college, he has taught subjects such as Study Skills, Academic Writing, Teaching of Poetry, Teaching Prose Fiction, Secondary School English Curriculum, Study of Language, Drama, Writing, Teaching Skills, Teaching Skills and Teaching Strategies. At the same time, he was actively involved in the development and revision of modules in both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
He was involved in the development of M. Ed in English programme at the college. Besides teaching English and professional subjects, he has offered numerous research services such as teaching Introduction to Educational Research and supervising action research projects of the M. Ed in Educational Leadership and management students at Paro College of Education. Similarly, he had supervised two M. Ed students’ dissertation in the same programme. He has supervised five M. Ed in Maths students and co-supervised another five M. Ed Math students in their dissertation at Samtse College of Education. Currently he is principal supervisor to six M. Ed Math dissertations and co-supervisor to six M. Ed Math students and one Brazilian student’s MA dissertation. In addition, he has offered Introduction to Educational Research and supervised the projects of Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education students, Postgraduate Diploma in Education and B. Ed students over the past ten years.
Besides teaching, research and leadership, he is involved in facilitating and resourcing workshops such as facilitating familiarisation of the class 5 to 8 new English curriculum to the English teachers (2008), resourcing Strategies in Teaching English (2017), Resourcing national level Action Research to the Principals of six eastern Dzongkhags (2018), action research for Dzongkha teachers (2018) and Teaching Poetry to English Teachers of Samtse Higher Secondary School (2019). Besides being a member of two working committees at the college, he is a member of International Society for Teacher Education and Australian Teacher Education Association. He is also External Examiner for Post-graduate Certificate in Education at Sherubter College.
He is on the editorial board for Shes-Rig PAGES: The Biannual Newsletter of Samtse College of Education, and Rig-Gter, the College Research Journal. He has reviewed articled for publication in Bhutan Journal of Research and Development, Rabsel and Education Innovation and Practices. He has received three Annual University Research Grants and successfully completed the projects.
He is a recipient of the National Order of Merit (Gold Medal) from His Majesty for excellence in teaching in 2016.
- PhD (2015) from Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- Ed (2004) from University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- Ed (1994) from National Institute of Education, Samtse, Bhutan
- Centre Head for CLER, Samtse College of Education (2017 to 2019)
- Acting Dean of Academic Affairs, Samtse College of Education (2012)
- Ed secondary programme leader, Samtse College of Education (2010)
- Head of English Department, Samtse College of Education (2007 to 2009)
- Lecturer, Samtse College of Education (2004 to present)
- Principal, Daga Middle Secondary School (2001 to 2003)
- Principal, Sherubling Middle Secondary School (1999 to 2000)
- Acting District Education Officer, Trongsa Dzongkha (1999)
- Teacher, Sherubling Junior High School (1994 to 1998)
Teaching and Research Supervision
Taught academic and research courses and supervised research at postgraduate and undergraduate levels
- Taught Introduction to Educational Research EDU503 (Master of Education), Paro College of Education (2010 to 2011)
- Taught Dissertation Proposal RES602 (Master of Education), Samtse College of Education
- Supervised Research Dissertation EDU590 (Master of Education), Paro College of Education
- Co-supervisor for MA in Geography at Universidade Federal de Sao Joao del-Rei, Brazil.
- Supervisor for five M. Ed in Mathematics students at Samtse College of Education and co-supervisor for another five M. Ed in Mathematics students.
- Supervisor for six M. Ed in Mathematics students at Samtse College of Education and co-supervisor for another six M. Ed in Mathematics students.
- Supervisor for Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education action research projects
- Supervisor for Postgraduate Diploma in Education action research projects
- Supervisor for Bachelor of Education action research projects
Taught the following courses in Postgraduate Diploma in Higher education, Postgraduate Diploma in Education and Bachelor of Education:
- Action Research: Reflective Practices (EDU601) for PgDHE
- Educational Research Methods (EDU510) for M. Ed
- Introduction to Research Methods (EDU503) for PgDE
- Introduction Research Methods (EDU206) for B. Ed
- Action Research Project (EDU411) for B. Ed
- Taught EDU 507 Professional Ethics and Mentoring
- Writing (ENG410). Teaching Poetry (ENG409), Teaching of Prose Fiction (ENG408), Secondary School English Curriculum (ENG204), The Study of Language (ENG101), Teaching Skills ((EDU203), Teaching strategies (EDU205), Study Skills (EFC101), Academic writing (EFC102), Drama (ENG2206), Poetry (ENG3306) and Novel (ENG3307)
Policy and Programme Development
- Lead the development of M. Ed in English programme to be launched in 2019
- Developed Effective English Communication for Teachers course for the teachers in Bhutan
- Editorial Board member for Shes-Rig PAGES (2016 to present)
- Assisted in the preparation towards the successful accreditation of the college in 2017
- Participated in the development of the College Strategic Plan 2018-2030
- Developed modules at Masters, Postgraduate Diploma and Bachelors levels
- Lead the development/revision of the B. Ed secondary English as a Head of English Department (2007 to 2008)
- Lead quality and timely publication of Kalapinka Newsletter (2006 to 2008)
- Edited articles for publication in “Academic Profile” (2010)
- Edited articles for publication in Rig-Gter: The College Research Journal (2009 to 2011)
- Gyeltshen, T. (2010). A Student Guide to Academic Writing and Referencing and Documentation”. (M. Ed in Leadership and Management). Paro: Paro College of Education,
- Gyeltshen, T. (2009). Twilight Stories. Phuntsholing: KMT Publishers
- Gyeltshen, T. (2008). Kaleidoscope of short stories. Samtse College of Education.
- Gyeltshen, T. (2009). The Encounter in the B. Ed English syllabus(2009). Samtse College of Education
- Gyeltshen, T (1997). The Dying Lady in Class IX and X Poetry Booklet, Ministry of Education
- Gyeltshen, T. (2016). Bodhisattva leadership: The leadership of the selfless beings. Educational Innovation & Practice. 1 (1). Samtse College of Education.
- Gyeltshen, T. (2015). The nature of academic leadership at the colleges of Royal University of Bhutan. QUT eprint.
- Gyeltshen, T. & Dorji, S. (2014). Samtse: A cultural melting pot. Bhutan Journal of Research and Development. 3(1). Royal University of Bhutan.
- Tshering, K., Rinchen, S., Jose, K. Gyeltshen, T. & Gyeltshen, K. (2012). Student-teachers’ perceptions of the B. Ed programmes offered at SCE and its impacts on the teaching-learning in the schools. Rig-Gter: Academic Journal of Samtse College of Education. 3(2). Samtse College of Education.
- Gyeltshen, T. (2010). Improving classroom participation of the B. Ed 2 science students. Rig-Gter: Academic Journal of Samtse College of Education. 4(2). Samtse College of Education.
- Gyeltshen, T. (2009). Improving reading comprehension skills of the low achieving Bhutanese student teachers Rig-Gter: Academic Journal of Samtse College of Education. 2(1). Samtse College of Education
- The State of Our Nation’s Teachers: An Enquiry into Teaching as Profession in Bhutan (2007). Paro: Centre for Education and Development.
- Gyeltshen, T. (1996) Life’s a River, Kuensel
- Gyeltshen, T. (2009). Lopen – A Title Getting Cheaper by the Day. Kuensel
- Gyeltshen, T. (2016). Book Review on The heart is noble: Changing the world from the inside out by the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorjee. Shes-Rig PAGES. Samtse: Samtse College of Education.
Conference Papers/Invited Talks
- Gyeltshen, T. (Spring 2017). 6th Faculty-Student Research Meet, Spring 2017, Samtse College of Education
- Gyeltshen, T. (17-18 March, 2017). International Conference on Buddhist Cultural Pluralism in South Asia: Explorations in Popular Contemporary Buddhist imageries. OVC Thimphu
- Gyeltshen, T. (18-20 Nov. 2016). International conference on Re-imagining Social Science Researches: Global Context, National Perspectives and Regional Priorities.
- Gyeltshen, T. (Autumn 2016). 5th Faculty-Student Research Meet, Samtse College of Education
- Gyeltshen, T. (June 29-July 1, 2016). International Conference on Tradition and Innovation in Vajrayana Buddhism: A Mandala of 21st Century Perspectives.
- Gyeltshen, T. (Spring 2016). 4th Faculty-Student Research Meet, Samtse College of Education
- Gyeltshen, T. (10-11 October 2014). Higher Degree conference on Exchanging Insights from Educational Research. QUT, Australia
- Jose, K. C. & Gyeltshen, T. (14-16 April, 2014). 3rd Creative University conference on Creative Economy, Creative University and Creative Development: Ideas, Knowledges and Paths towards Sustainability Happiness and Wellbeing.
- Gyeltshen, T. (April 2013). 4th Faculty Research Meet, Sherubtse College.
- Gyeltshen, T. (October 2-12). Confirmation of Candidature Seminar, QUT, Australia.
- Gyeltshen, T. (May 2012). 32nd International Society for Teacher Education, PCE, Paro
- Gyeltshen, T. (Nov. 2011). 1st Faculty Research Meet, Royal Thimphu College
- Gyeltshen, T. (June 2009). Australian Teacher Education Association, Albury, Australia.
- Gyeltshen, T. (April 2008). 28th International Society for Teacher Education, UNE, Australia.
- As a co-supervisor in MA in Geography dissertation, I am in close contact with Universidade Federal de Sao Joao del-Rei, Brazil.
- Member of International Society for Teacher Education
- Member of Australian Teacher Education Association
- Media focal Person for Samtse College for 2010-11
- External examiner for Postgraduate Diploma in English at Sherubtse College
Research/Programme Development Grants
- Applied for and won Annual University Research Grant of Nu. 60,000 for the project on reading habits of teacher in Samtse (2008)
- Applied for and won Annual University Research Grant of Nu. 1,30,000 for the project on communication proficiency of secondary school student in Bhutan (2017)
- Applied for and won Annual University Research Grant of Nu. 1,50,000 and College Research Stimulus Fund 1,00,000 for the project on Student behaviours in Bhutanese secondary and tertiary education system
- Currently leading the development of modules on effective communication to be offered to various agencies
- Developed PD programme on effective academic writing for teachers (August 2019)
- Resourced Teaching Poetry in Secondary schools to the English teachers of Samtse HSS September 2019)
- Resourced two six-day national level action research workshop for principals of six eastern Dzongkhags (July, 2018)
- Resourced a two-day Effective Communication workshop to Police personnels in Samtse (May 2018)
- Resourced a three-day action research workshop for mentors at Paro College of Education (July 2018)
- Resourced a three-day action research workshop for Dzongkha teacher under Samtse cluster (26-28 April 2018)
- External examiner for Postgraduate Diploma in English at Sherubtse College
- Resourced Teaching Methods in English for English teacher at Samtse Higher Secondary school (18.5.2017)
- Resourced action research for assistant lecturers of RUB (2009)
- Resourced familiarisation workshop on the new English curriculum to class 5 to 8 English teachers at Wangdiphodrang (January 2007)
- Review of Implementation of Class IX and X English curriculum in Samtse District (For MoE) (2006)
- Developed class 9 and 10 new English curriculum, Rinchending, Paro (2005)
- National Order of Merit (Gold Medal) from His Majesty the 5th king in 2016.
- Leadership and Management in Higher Education, Maastricht, The Netherlands (2012)
- Action Learning and Leadership, UNE, Australia (2008)
- Evaluation of Practising Teachers, Leicester University, UK (2007)
Academic and Research Leadership Training
- Capacity building for research supervision at TERI University, Delhi in 2016.
Phone : 17660387
Email : email@example.com