- Undergoing PhD in Department of Environmental Science and Engineering (Kathmandu University, Nepal); M.Sc. in Chemistry (India, 2007); PGCE (NIE Samtse, 2000); B.Sc.in Biology and Chemistry (Sherubtse College, 1999).
- Head of Centre for Innovations in Science Education and Research (Since December 2017)
- Lecturer (since July 2013)
- Teaching Practice Coordinator ( July 2012-December 2014)
- Associate Lecturer (July 2007- June 2013)
- Teacher, Samtse Middle Secondary School ( January 2001- June 2007)
- Teacher, Yangchenphu Higher Secondary School (October 1999 – December 2000).
Teaching and Research Supervision
Developed courses, taught undergraduate and postgraduate (both pre-service and in-service) students, since 2007.
- Developed following modules for postgraduate, undergraduate, and diploma courses:
- EDU 505: Introduction to University Learning and Teaching (Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, 2009).
- CME 504: Misconceptions in Chemistry (Master of Education, 2016).
- ADS603: Organic Chemistry (Master of Education, 2016).
- SWD203: Environment and livelihood (B.A. Social work, 2017)
- Handbook on Teaching Strategies for B.Ed.(2007)
- CHM 307: Organic Chemistry (Diploma in School Laboratory Management, 2017).
- CHM 203: Metallurgy and Hydrocarbons (Diploma in School Laboratory Management, 2014).
- Has taught the following post graduate courses:
- CME 504: Misconceptions in Chemistry (Master of Education).
Has taught the following undergraduate courses:
- CHE101 – Introduction to Chemistry Education
- CHE102 – Atomic Structure and Water
- CHE205 – Chemistry Education
- CHE 203: The Extraction and the Purification of some common chemicals.
- EDN 203: Teaching Skills
- EDN 205: Teaching Strategy
- CHE 408: Behaviors of gases and Organic Chemistry.
- CHE 307: Acids and bases
- CHE 410 – Applied Chemistry
Policy and Programme: Nil
- Gyeltshen, K., Rai, R. & Dorji, S. (2015). Culture and change in Lotokuchu Community. In S. Phuntsho, Twilight cultures-Tradition and change in four rural communities in Bhutan (pp. 89-129). Thimphu: Shejun.
- Rai, R., Sharma, S., Shah, R.D.T., Gurung, D. B., & Sitaula, B. K. (Under review in Water Science, Elsevier). Use of benthic-macroinvertebrates in assessing impacts of vehicle wash wastewater on streams and rivers of Bhutan.
- Rai, R., Sharma, S., Gurung, D.B., Sitaula, B.K., & Raut, N. (2018). Assessment of environmental impacts of vehicle wash centres at Olakha, Thimphu Bhutan. International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 7(1), pp 1-10. ISSN 2319–1414
- Rai, R., Sharma, S., Gurung, D.B., & Sitaula, B.K. (2016). Potential impacts of discharging vehicle wash wastewater in rivers: a case study of Thimphu and Paro, Bhutan – a review. Bhutan Journal of Research and Development, 5(2), pp 36-53. ISSN 1321-4585.
- Choeda, Zander, P.O., Penjor,T., Dukpa, D. & Rai, R. (2014). The ICT-Integrated pedagogy in the colleges of Royal University of Bhutan. Malaysia: SDIWC Publications.
- Rai, R & Subramanian, B. (2007). Bio-conjugate derived from DNA-Ag nanoparticles: M.Sc.Dissertation. Chennai: University of Madras.
Conference Papers/Invited Talks
Has presented a paper at International Conference.
- Rai, R., Sharma, S., Gurung, D.B., Sitaula, B.K., & Raut, N. (2018). Assessment of environmental impacts of vehicle wash centres at Olakha, Thimphu Bhutan. Presented a paper at International Conference on Environmental Sciences co-organized by International Science Congress Associations (ISCA) and College of Science and Technology at Rinchending, Phuntsholing Bhutan (8-9 December 2017).
- Presented a paper on, “Adolescent pregnancy and rising use of emergency contraceptives in Bhutan”, in National Conference jointly organized by UNFPA and Samtse College of Education (4 – 5 November 2016)
- Member of Royal Society for Protection of Nature (RSPN), non-profit organization in Bhutan.
- Member of Society for Freshwater Science (SFS), non-profit organization in Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA.
- Member of International Water Association (IWA), the largest international network of water professionals working towards a water wise world.
Research/Programme Development Grants:
- Resourced workshop on teaching skills and strategies to student teachers’ Teaching Practice Mentors of Samtse Dzongkhag in 2012 and 2013.
- Resourced workshop on Comprehensive Sexuality Education to B.Ed.IV Year and Post Graduate Diploma in Education graduates in December 2014.
- Assisted in the revision of the B.Ed.Secondary Chemistry Curriculum, 2008.
- Assisted in the review and revision of the Teaching skills forms for microteaching and teaching practice, 2008.
- Asia Pacific Water Leadership Programme Award Fellow of the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) and International Centre of Excellence on Water Resources Management (ICE WaRM), Australia, April 8-19, 2018.
- Best oral presenter at International Conference on Environmental Sciences co-organized by International Science Congress Associations (ISCA) and College of Science and Technology at Rinchending, Phuntsholing Bhutan (8-9 December 2017).
- PhD. fellowship from NORHED Project of Norwegian Government in 2015.
- Dedicated service award from His Majesty’s Secretariat, Royal Government of Bhutan.
Academic and Research Leadership Training
- Attended workshop on, “Capacity Building for Conservation of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services of Wetlands in Relation to Global Change” from 11th -13th March 2015 jointly organized by the Asia‐Pacific Network for Global Change Research (APN‐GCR), Kobe, Japan, and Kathmandu University in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Completed a course on Water Safety Plan (WSP) offered by WHO in Kathmandu University in March-April 2015.
- GIS and Remote Sensing training at College of Natural Resources, Lobesa, 18th -29th January, 2016.
- Attended training on water quality monitoring and analysis from 13th -20th May 2016 in Thimphu, Bhutan jointly organized by the National Environment Commission of Bhutan (NEC) and Kathmandu University, Nepal.
- Training on Inferential Statistics for data analysis at Paro, Bhutan, from 4th-8th July 2016 organized by UNFPA and Paro College of Education.
Phone : 00975-17715950
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org