On 31 July 2020, on the command of His Majesty The King, the College organised a grand dinner for the graduating students. His Excellency the Prime Minister (Lyonchen) Dr. Lotey Tshering graced the ‘Soelra’ dinner of His Majesty The King.
In the gathering, His Excellency Lyonchen shared that there is no nation like Bhutan in the world and this is simply because of our beloved King. Lyonchen also shared the aspirations and sacrifices of His Majesty The King for the people of Bhutan and stated that Bhutan is blessed to have a visionary King at the frontlines of any national calamities like the current COVID-19 pandemic and impressed upon the graduands to pray for the wellbeing of His Majesty. Honourable Lyonchen advised the graduands of their role as teachers in fulfilling the expectations of His Majesty The King, Government and people.
More specifically, His Excellency conveyed the following key messages to the graduands who are soon going to pursue teaching as their career:
- As future teachers, the graduands are not teachers in the classroom only but must strive to be a teacher to the family, community and the nation.
- Teachers must always be a few steps ahead of students in terms of knowledge and practice. What was useful yesterday may not be useful today and tomorrow. Teachers must first understand and learn to be ahead.
- Graduands must strive hard to fulfil His Majesty’s deep wisdom of building three qualities – integrity, knowledge and skills (competent) in our students, our future citizens.
- As graduands of a teaching college, the completion of training in the College is not the end of their learning, rather a beginning of the learning process. The training is a license to learn more to teach better.
- Graduating teachers need to understand the nation’s current situation. Not understanding it is unacceptable. They should prepare young students according to the nation’s situations.
Honourable Lyonchen also advised the graduands on personal health and sanitation against COVID-19, such as the importance of the use of mask and the collective role in preparing for new normal in the country. He also provided some useful information and tips on healthy living through good food habits and disciplined exercise regimen.
Lyonchen is in Samtse Dzongkhag accompanying His Majesty the King.