The Bachelor of Education (Primary) a three-year programme was launched in 1993 following a decision by the Teacher Education Committee (TEC) to develop a programme that would prepare a group of teachers with higher academic and professional qualifications to teach and provide competent instructional leadership at the primary level.
Now offered as a four-year full-time programme, the programme requires students to reflect and blend theory with practice through a combination of class-based learning at the college and field-based learning at practicum placements. The intention of the programme is to prepare primary school teachers who are well-equipped to respond to the current educational climate in the country.
B.Ed. Pry focuses on the education of PP – VI children (6-12 years), including modules such as Creative Arts, Children with Special Needs, Play Development, Action Research, and Foundations of Early Childhood.
The programme provides a holistic experience for students and takes a fresh look at teacher education in the 21st century. The programme is designed to familiarize teacher candidates with basic skills of teaching, while also encouraging them to critically examine the sociocultural dynamics of learning across individual students in the current changing landscape of Bhutan.
Learning Outcomes of the Programme
- Develop the competence and confidence in the subjects being taught in the primary levels
- Be able to identify the problems of students, their causes and take suitable measures to help them.
- Develop and practice the skills that the teachers will require to teach in the primary schools
- Develop an understanding of the guiding concepts of each of the subjects being offered in the primary school, and have a sound knowledge and understanding of the subjects they are required to teach
- Develop creativity in them and appreciate the same in children
- Organize and manage the classroom effectively
- Be able to identify, obtain, make and improvise appropriate teaching/learning aids and use them effectively
- Develop an enthusiasm for lifelong learning and use the knowledge and skills gained as a basis for professional improvement and personal development.
- Conduct action research on an area of interest.
- Develop skills to gather information from various sources such as the library and other social and natural environment
- Be able to construct and use a variety of evaluation procedures
Bhutanese Education System
Functional Information Technology
Theory and Principles of Teaching a Children a Language
Introduction to Academic Skills
Creative Arts in Lower Primary
Skills for Effective Teaching
Math in Lower Primary 1
Listening and Speaking
Environmental Studies (EVS) in Lower Primary
Play Development and Early Childhood
Teaching Methods in Lower Primary
Math in Lower Primary 2
Reading and Writing in Lower Primary
Teaching Methods in Upper Primary
Introduction to Action Research
Dzongkha Language in Lower Primary
HPE in Lower Primary
Dzongkha Teaching Methods in Lower Primary
Reading and Writing in Upper Primary
Creative Arts in Upper Primary
Teaching Children with Special Needs
Math in Upper Primary 1
HPE in Upper Primary
Reading and Writing in Dzongkha
ICT in Education
Foundation of Early Childhood Education
English Across the Curriculum
Math in Upper Primary 2
Knowing Learning and Teaching (optional)
Research Project (optional)
Guidance and Counselling (optional)
Improving Testing (optional)
For more information about the programme, please contact:
Dr. Karma Utha
Dean of Academic Affairs
Mrs. Sonam Wangmo